Adventures in LauraLand

Welcome to LauraLand. This blog documents my time living & working on the Thai-Burma border. The accounts on these pages are true & offer you, dear reader, the opportunity to be exposed to something likely foreign to your daily life. I encourage you to share this blog with others & thus do your part to carry the message of the inequity & human rights abuses that occur in such faraway lands like Burma. Thanks to AJWS & their support for my wanderings. Cheers to adventures and world change...

Tuesday, May 15, 2007

T minus 9

Hello there gremlins, rainbow-brights, and sparkling tortoise shells:

RAIN!

Indeed the unthinkable has occurred. After recent weeks of unending heat and a ruthless sun beating down on the earth and thus bleaching everything to a uniform tan, in just the past few days the unthinkable has occurred. It has rained.

The skies have opened up, seemingly releasing their pent-up moisture-anger of the last 6 months. And damn, that's a lot of moisture. I had almost forgotten the smell, the sound, the constant wetness of rainy season in the last months of incessantly dry skies, but indeed, it's back. Oh flip-flop slides and moldy garments! Oh joy!

And just as the weather seems to slip into its natural transition from one thing to the next, so do I. In 9 days, I will be on a plane headed home.

I'm filled with excitement as I think of friends and family. Smiles plaster over my face when I think of music clubs, theater, restaurants, JP Licks soft serve… It all has been a long-lost thought for so long. For so long, it's been Burma, papaya salad, rice paddy, human rights…

And just as these shudders of excitement run through me, shudders of confusion do as well. I can't quite imagine being distanced from my friends, students, adoptive families here. I can't imagine thinking about this situation from such a distance and not knowing how things actually are, here on the street-level.

I also wonder about those other things, those details about life in the US like: Am I ready to drive a car again? Can I stomach the American meal of large portions and pre-processed items? Will I be able to make it through a reality TV show without seizing on the floor in a fit of anger?

While all these emotions can be lumped into the simplistic-sounding "culture shock," I think they are worth more than what this trite phrase offers. It seems to me that upon returning home, those who live abroad for some time not only struggle with the difference between cultures, but the mental battle of having opened the door to the world, and the at times inspiring and other times paralyzing possibilities which that act engages.

Indeed I'll go home not thinking just of the change in weather, but very much pondering future actions, development, the world, inequalities, and my most effective place within all of it. My mind will be wading through the question of returning to this border and the people who have been my family for this past year or embarking on another adventure in my own culture, somewhere all mixed up in the sandwich shops and jazz venues of any cool US city.

In spite of it all, I'm immensely excited to arrive back in the US on May 17th, hug my parents at the airport, and drop my heavy and dirt-dirt-dirty bags on the floor of the home where I grew up.

I'm also excited to see you, to talk to you, to hear about all that I have missed in exactly 12 months away from your life.

Much love, excitement, and cashews,

Laura!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home