Adventures in LauraLand

Welcome to LauraLand. This blog documents my time living & working on the Thai-Burma border. The accounts on these pages are true & offer you, dear reader, the opportunity to be exposed to something likely foreign to your daily life. I encourage you to share this blog with others & thus do your part to carry the message of the inequity & human rights abuses that occur in such faraway lands like Burma. Thanks to AJWS & their support for my wanderings. Cheers to adventures and world change...

Friday, May 19, 2006

Touchdown

Rightio. On the ground. I arrived about 4 hours ago to this HOT, busy, and colorful city. I'm sure there are many other things this city is, but I have yet to discover them at this point...

After an uneventful journey (other than a man who has issues screaming profanities when he falls asleep on an airplane and is sitting across the aisle from you), I have arrived safe and sound. I'm staying in what's known as the "tourist ghetto" of Bangkok, Khao San Road, where backpackers of all walks of life gather and share tidbits of their travels and their personalities, share a drink, and then go on their merry way.

Fruit vendors and pad thai stands line the cute little street where I am staying, and new arrivals with big bags seem to show up every few minutes here.

Regardless of the tourists rambling around these parts the newness is undeniable: new smells, sounds, language, tastes, and sights. It's exciting and beautiful and it's so clear to me, despite the stress of packing, the annoyances of immunizations, the numbness of my backside from extended plane rides, what moves people to explore. It's phenomenally exciting and energizing.

Off to attempt new friend making, try new foods, and eventually get a good nights rest.

LK

ps. and if you ever wondered if people in other countries dote on their dogs a la paris hilton, the answer is yes, as a dog with a hairdo greeted me upon entering the internet cafe.

1 Comments:

  • At 4:17 PM, Blogger frank landfield said…

    way to go LK. we're proud of you. stay in touch. journal your adventures there so we all can read them now, and you can read them 50 years from now. yada yada yada. what kind of hairdo did that dog have? we need some pad thai! peace. take care. christiann and frank

     

Post a Comment

<< Home