Adventures in LauraLand

Welcome to LauraLand. This blog documents my time living & working on the Thai-Burma border. The accounts on these pages are true & offer you, dear reader, the opportunity to be exposed to something likely foreign to your daily life. I encourage you to share this blog with others & thus do your part to carry the message of the inequity & human rights abuses that occur in such faraway lands like Burma. Thanks to AJWS & their support for my wanderings. Cheers to adventures and world change...

Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Wanderlust

Alas. It has come the time for the inevitable "visa run" that plagues (or rather blesses) travellers located in Thailand on a tourist visa, even if it is an extended one, much like my own. Therefore, I am required to hop in and out of the country every two-three months. After an initial one month extension, the three month mark has finally arrived (and will be celebrated tomorrow), and therefore requires me to pack that bag of mine and join the backpacking masses, guidebook in one hand, wallet and passport clutched in the other.

Part of me is scared of the thought of loneliness as I become very accustomed to my group living situation in Sangkhlaburi, always being doted on and doting on others. It will be a strange and welcome experience to be an anonymous person again, not identified as "Teacher," or "that strange white girl who never will take a taxi ride and is always asking the market if they have received their new ice cream shipment yet."

Currently, I write from the luxury and comfort of Bangkok, where I am graciously hosted by former roommate and allstar Mackinnon Webster, who welcomes all those into her home with open arms. In Bangkok I feel that I have crossed borders and am in a different country all together, and that my visa run is already complete, the difference between Bangkok and Sangkhla is so stark. Glistening buildings, fountains of marble and high-rolling business men take to the streets in stark contrast to individuals who seem to be sucked right from their rural Thai village, wearing muddy, loose farm clothes and carrying fried goods over their shoulders, selling them for the equivalent of 10 cents. The variety of social norms here really seems much more distinct than those I have seen even in the hub of culture that is NYC.

In a few hours I will hop a night train to Laos, where I will be for a week, and then swing back home via Chiang Mai, a city I've heard only positives about. I will write if given the internet opportunity, but going on the fact that I've heard no ATMs function with American cards in Laos, I'm not too sure about the internet connection. I will write again in a week or so, when I bop back through this city on my way home.

Onwards and upwards fine fighters-

:) Laura

4 Comments:

  • At 9:03 AM, Blogger frank landfield said…

    dear LK,
    enjoy your adventures. find that ice cream! shalom.

     
  • At 6:45 PM, Blogger Neil Harrison said…

    Hey Laura, Stefan and i are currently in Japan. Weleave here and arrive in Bangkok on Wednesday and then straight to Chang Mai for a few days. Don`t suppose you will still be there?

     
  • At 10:08 AM, Blogger dkliveoftexas said…

    Laura,

    As you venture forth from country to country, so do I! I will be heading back to the country of Texas after an extended stay around Boston. I got my annual fill of Red Sox games, neo-classical art, and catching up with old friends and family.

    I'm excited to head back to the bustling, liberal, growing, artsy, eclectic, healthy, outdoorsy, clean, dirty, Southern capital of Texas (aka Austin)! I miss cousin Margo and Gregory, and their son, Benjamin :-) I feel fortunate to have the means of a car for transportation. It's amazing the stark differences that we encounter overseas, isn't it?

    Anywho, looking forward to seeing more pictures upon your return from Cheng Mei. Sounds as if it will be a beautiful place to be!!

    All the best, lots of love, and fun and wonder and strength to do great thigns and help other people. Regarding the rains, be sure to train in sprinting a good 3 weeks before attempting to klck passersby in the balls. That could cause a semi-enraged response from otherwise harmless-looking small Thai men. Alternatively, you may consider the purchase of what some folks call "an umbrella". Hahaha!

    Ya brotha always,

    Dave

     
  • At 12:37 PM, Blogger janessa said…

    hope the rain stops long enough for you to eat some ice cream!!!

    love hearing about your life...
    ~ j

     

Post a Comment

<< Home