Adventures in LauraLand

Welcome to LauraLand. This blog documents my time living & working on the Thai-Burma border. The accounts on these pages are true & offer you, dear reader, the opportunity to be exposed to something likely foreign to your daily life. I encourage you to share this blog with others & thus do your part to carry the message of the inequity & human rights abuses that occur in such faraway lands like Burma. Thanks to AJWS & their support for my wanderings. Cheers to adventures and world change...

Thursday, October 19, 2006

A little bit Shweaty

Narcoleptics:

Please find the following tidbits for your reading pleasure...

1. Mosquito nets: in this land of 10 inch millipedes with vicious venom, tarantulas in the backyard, and the cat dragging in snakes in the middle of class, I view my mosquito net as the be-all-end-all protector. When I fall asleep, it is as though an angel descends upon me with a shield to ward off evil spirits and venomous bugs. Well, this is what I must convince myself of anyway if I hope to get a wink of sleep each night. Regardless of the almighty powers of the blue, holey net surrounding my sleeping mat, the following creatures have still succeeded in penetrating the walls of the fortress. This month alone has seen a frog, kitten, and scorpion emerge from the limited hiding places of a floor mat and pillow as if to yell "surprise!" excitedly during a birthday party. What sweeties.

2. Facebook. Despite my remote location and lack of access to things such as peanut butter, cheese, human rights and internet, I have still managed to become unhealthily addicted to Facebook-- the social networking sensation! While I spend my limited internet time primarily devoted to keeping in touch with friends and researching for class, I've found a deep and guilty pleasure in breaking up the time with diversions into the website profiling nearly every member of my peer group along with their favorite music, movies, and relationship status. If someone can tell me why such voyeuristic pursuits are so fulfilling I will give you a nickel.

3. Tangents. I recently shared the word "tangent" with my class and have found that it has never been so appropriate. Today I found myself lecturing on a bearded woman as I attempted to describe the word "freak" and figured "freak show" would somehow resonate with these guys. Um... who made me a teacher again? The true point of our lesson was future tenses. I don't understand my brain.

4. "Shweaty." My love of accents will never escape me. Inadvertently, every time beads of sweat well up on my forehead (see also: every day in Sangkhla) I like to say "shweaty," in a Sean Connery-esque tone. Little did I realize until the other day, that my students now also enjoy the Connery accent, and unbeknownst to them, each time they discuss their own bodily secretions (isn't secretions such a fabulous word?!) a little bit of Connery exists in all of them.

Alas. I'm off to shower my shweaty self.

Love on Aphrodites!

:) L

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home